Sunday, November 23, 2008

Trip to Kenya pt 1

About a week or two before leaving the states Melissa's mother called saying she would be in Kenya for a conference around November 21. She wanted to know if we wanted to come to Kenya or if she should come to Uganda. I thought about it for a second and then thought 'What am I thinking about?' Of course I want to go to Kenya. When's the last time I had the chance? When will be the next time?
So we spent a week in Kenya. It was good to see Melissa's mom. We stayed at a nice hotel not for from the city center. Nairobi is like the New York City of East Africa. Lots of hustle and bustle--people and cars everywhere. You can buy a bootleg DVD with 80 movies on it. We spent a little time in and around all that. Nairobi is very developed; in that its pretty westernized. Colonization and globalization have made for an interesting dynamic. Traditionalism and shopping malls are side by side for better and worse. I appreciate the traditional more because I've been to the mall before.


USA!!!!


We did the exact opposite of going to the mall. We went on safari. A day trip to Lake Nakuru and 3 days in Masai Mara. The pics are spread out over a few computers but here are some from a visit to a giraffe center and our second day in Masai Mara. I'll post the others when I can.

Jason and a giraffe


Melissa and my future mother-in-law


2 comments:

Unknown said...

is that a dead elephant? wow.
man kenya sounds awesome..ill be in south africa 2010..i hope

Erin, Andy, Louis and Jean said...

JB! This is so cool! I am glad you are having a good time. The bats would freak me out, keep your broom up!